How To Bring Your Dog(s) And/Or Cat(s) Into England (UK)

Pet Travel - Microchip - Vaccinations - Passport - Quarantine

If you are thinking of settling down in England (UK) or staying for a while whereby you are considering whether or not bring your dog(s) and/or cat(s) into England (UK), you need to be aware of the Pet Travel process, rules and regulations; especially if you have never brought a dog or cat into England (UK).

When you enter or return to England (UK) from another EU-EEA Countries Web PageEU Country or Listed Countries Web PageListed Country your pet must meet the UK entry requirements. Although I have used Hungary (a European Country) and a dog that was born in 2016 as the example on this web page, the information on this web page also include other, international and previous years, information.

Step #1 - Get Your Pet Microchipped

BEFORE entering England (UK) your pet MUST BE Pet Microchip Web PageMicrochipped, with an 'International Organization for Standardization' (ISO) microchip, BEFORE IT HAS A RABIES VACCINATION; otherwise it will need to be vaccinated against rabies again. So have the microchip done first.

NOTE - You must bring your own microchip reader when you travel, but only if your pet’s microchip does not meet the ISO (ISO 11784 / 11785) standards.


Pet Microchipping can only be done by a Vet, Vet Nurse, Student Vet, Student Vet Nurse (who must be directed by a vet), a person trained in microchipping (with practical experience) before 29 December 2014 or a person who has been assessed on an 'approved training course'.


If your pet's microchip cannot be read, for whatever reason(s), your pet must be re-microchipped, re-vaccinated and issued with a new pet passport. Furthermore, the old microchip must stay in place and be recorded as obsolete in the 'marking of animals' section of your new pet passport; together with details of the new microchip (re-microchipped) in the 'Others' section. Your pet could be refused entry into England (UK), or be Rabies Quarantine Web Pagequarantined, if its microchip cannot be read when you enter or return to England (UK).

Make sure the vet records the microchip number on your Pet Passport, or Third-Country Official Veterinary Certificate, and stamps all the necessary paperwork; including your pet passport.

Step #2 - Get Your Pet Vaccinated

With your pet microchipped the next step is to get it Rabies Vaccination Web Pagevaccinated against rabies - Your pet must be at least 12 weeks old at the time of vaccination. Furthermore, they MUST wait 21 days after vaccination (or the last of the primary course of vaccinations) before they can enter another EU country or Listed country. This is because it takes 21 days for the rabies vaccination to become fully active and therefore protect your pet against rabies.

NOTE - The vaccine must be an approved Inactivated Vaccine or Recombinant Vaccine, approved in the country of use and given in accordance to the recommendation mentioned in the vaccine manufacturer’s data sheet; which your vet should know about of course.

It is important to check that your vet has recorded your pet's rabies vaccination in its pet passport, or third-country official veterinary certificate, as your pet could be stopped from travelling if any of those details are entered incorrectly or have not been added. Here are the details that should be inside your pet's passport:

NOTE - The vet only needs to fill in the Valid From' date for the first vaccination (or re-vaccination if you missed a booster) - The Valid From date is 21 days after the rabies vaccination. The day of rabies vaccination counts as day 0 not day 1, as mentioned above, and thereby means if your pet is vaccinated on the 1st of the month the earliest it can travel is the 22nd.

NOTE - If the rabies vaccination record is a sticker, it must be covered by a laminated strip (included with the pet passport).

Tapeworm Treatment FOR DOGS ONLY

Before entering England (UK) with a dog, that dog must of been treated for Tapeworm Treatment Web PageTapeworm each time; unless it comes directly from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway. If tapeworm treatment is required, the vet performing that tapeworm treatment must record it in your pet passport or third-country official veterinary certificate.

NOTE - The tapeworm treatment must have been given within 1 and 5 days (between 24 and 120 hours) before you are going to enter England (UK), otherwise your dog could be refused entry or be put into quarantine.

Step #3 - Get Your Pet A Passport

If your pet is travelling to England (UK) from another EU country it will need a Pet Passport Web PagePet Passport, but if it is coming from a country outside of the EU it will need a Third-Country Official Veterinary Certificate (if you do not have an EU pet passport) whereby you will need to fill in a declaration confirming that you are not going to sell or transfer the ownership of your pet.

To get a pet passport for your pet you will need to visit an authorised vet. Upon seeing your pet, its identification, vaccination records and any rabies blood test results (if you have them) the vet should issue you with a pet passport. Besdes the above mentioned vaccination details, your pet passport should also include the following information about your pet. If not, consult your vet.

NOTE - If you do not have the correct documents or your pet has not been properly prepared it will be licenced into quarantine until it either fully meets the entry requirements of the UK or is sent back to the country it travelled from. You must pay the costs for this.

Banned Breeds Of Dog

The following breeds of dog are Banned Dogs Web PageNOT permitted in England (UK) - Brazilian Fila, Dogo Argentino, Japanese Tosa Inu and American Staffordshire Pit Bull Terrier.

Step #4 - Bring Your Pet To England (UK)

With the above rules and regulations followed, you can then bring your pet into England (UK). It is preferable that you, the owner, bring your own pet into England (UK), within 5 days of your pet travelling, using an approved airline and route. Your pet will travel as manifested cargo, as opposed to travelling in the cabin of the aeroplane.

With all of the above said: If you are in doubt about anything related to travelling with your pet, and the welfare of your pet, you should consult your local vet. Also worth consulting are the Take Dog On HolidayRSPCA and Battersea Dogs Home WebsiteBattersea Dogs Home.